Located 385 kilometers from Phnom Penh in the northeast of the country, Mondul Kiri has the lowest population density in Cambodia despite its largest land area. 80% of its population are tribal minorities, a major of whom are Phnong. The other 20% encompasses Khmer, Chinese, and Muslims.
The thickly-forested hills, luscious landscapes, and spectacular waterfalls have made Mondul Kiri one of most popular destinations for ecotourism in the country. Rather than just simply going to the most-local-visited attractions, foreign visitors may go trekking (elephant ride) through the unspoiled jungles. Such an arrangement has created jobs for the local people and been supportive to ecotourism and a greener mode of transportation.
Besides enjoying the nature, visitors to Mondul Kiri may also experience the rich culture of the local hill tribes, one of which is wine-snipping tradition.
If visiting Mondul Kiri between April and October, do not forget to taste the the seasonal fresh avocados which are mostly grown by the local families. It is best to have them shaked!
However, the best time to visit Mondul Kiri is between October and December, during which the trees and grass are still green after the rainy season ends.